On our first date, he asked me: "Are you low-riding... or are those jeans you're wearing low-crotch in nature?"I had thought about revealing to him the fact that I had spent that 25minutes of the morning deciding what to wear. It would have been a story: That morning, I thought of my polka dot dress and decided that it was in fact a reasonable choice for the occasion. I slipped it on and I got ready. He called to tell me that he was 5 minutes away. I felt a bit uneasy although it may have been the feeling of butterflies. Finally I stepped out of the dress (slightly antsy) and pulled on the pair of old, washed, baggy jeans that I had mostly been wearing to uni. I was ready the minute he called again.
It was probably the most cozy first date I had been on. The boy takes much credit, but the jeans...they were something else magical.
The moment I find myself in them, slightly low-rided yes, belted and turned-up cuffs, the boyfriend jeans work its brilliance. The part of femininity represented by the comfort of having the complement of masculinity. The part of me that wants to walk and skip without strutting in heels. The part of me that wants to be not-just-the-girly-type-of-girl.
It's not because Katie Holmes started to wear them day in day out in 2008. Not because I was so into Scarlett Johansson with them on in He's Just Not That Into Me. I had simply always loved the idea of being able to sit and lie around like it was none of my business that they didn't like girls who did not keep their legs together.
So ladies, why not forget about your skinny jeans and leggings for a day, and find some boyfriend jeans to roll up? Who knows, they might catch you a nice boyfriend - I know they did for me. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment